MCSC and the Women's Business Center offer a checklist of tools and resources to help a small business succeed.
Business Resources "Toolbox"
We are working on this page, please check back soon and we'll have all the links active. We're still researching to find you the very best resources to use.
Forms and Resources for To Start or Expand Your New Business
Everyone has questions when starting or running a business. Whether you need direction with insurance choices, worry about cash flow problems, or are confused with zoning laws, we have the resources to help. If you can’t find the answers you need in the links below, give us a call and let us assist you. For Online Learning please go to our Online Learning page.
Licenses and Permits for New Businesses:
CalGold- "The Gold Standard for Permit Assistance in California". The website assists you in finding appropriate permit information for your business, as well as contact information for the various agencies that administer & issue these permits
Forms and Links for New Business Planning:
Develop a business plan (SBA)
- Free, easy to use, downloadable business forms including Cash Flow Budget Worksheet!
- Decide on legal structure (see CA Business Portal or Small Business Administration guides)
- File a Fictitious Business Name Statement from the appropriate County Recorder:
San Luis Obispo County Kern County Monterey County
- Obtain a business license
- Obtain a California Sales Tax Exemption form (if reselling products)
- Obtain other necessary California permits and/or licenses
- Check the zoning laws and land use ordinances that might apply
- Apply for a Federal Identification Number
- Apply for a State Employer Tax Identification Number
- Apply for a MCSC Professional Technical Advisory Team – (available soon)
Accountant • Attorney • Banker • Insurance Agent/Broker • Human Resource Professional •
Marketing Professional (See also our list of these in "Resources>Local Business Resources")
Sales & Marketing
- Sales Coaching
- Sales Team Setup
- Social Media
- S.W.O.T. Analysis (Strengths - Weaknesses - Opportunities - Threats)
- Unique Selling Proposition
- Selling to US Government
- Exporting / Importing Products and Services
Financial, Bookkeeping & Legal
- Projected sample P & L for a product based business
- Projected sample P & L for a service based business
- Accounts Receivable
- MCSC’s 3 year linked MS Excel cash flow workbook
- Hire & Fire
- Employment Development
- Payroll Setup
Operations & Production
- Automating Processes
- Office Depot - Free Downloadable Business Forms. These documents are free to download and customize for your own professional use.